SourceKill℠ is RemQuest's enhanced version of NASA's emulsified zero-valent iron ("EZVI"). We created a better emulsion for faster results!
SourceKill℠ is a water in oil emulsion consisting of nano/micro scale zero-valent iron, surfactant, food-grade vegetable oil, and water that reductively dehalogenates halogenated hydrocarbons (e.g. PCE, TCE, CFC, VC). SourceKill℠ is manufactured specifically to create an emulsion of micelles that matches the physical chemistry of DNAPLs to deliver reactive iron particles, enabling full miscibility with contaminants in the subsurface. Thus, SourceKill℠ is a source area remediation technology.
- Developed/patented by NASA
- Field-tested by the U.S. EPA under the SITE Program
- Primarily used for in-situ DNAPL source area destruction
- Typical source concentration decrease ~90+% within 3 months
- The only surfactant-stabilized water-in-oil emulsion containing zero-valent iron particles
- Hydrophobic, dense emulsion absorbs DNAPL, delivering contaminant to iron
- In-situ chemical reduction of chlorinated solvent to ethene and water
- Injection or soil mixing using conventional technologies
- Does not promote mobilization of DNAPL
- RemQuest is the largest custom manufacturer/supplier of SourceKill℠, providing reactive, stable emulsions since 2005
- 2007 Induction into the Space Technology Hall of Fame
- 2006 Federal Laboratory Consortium (FLC) Excellence in Technology Transfer
- 2005 NASA Government Invention of the Year
- 2005 NASA Commercialization Invention of the Year